Labor unions all over the country should be energized after the big win yesterday in Ohio where voters overwhelmingly rejected a law that stripped public sector unions of collective bargaining rights.
Ohio Governor John Kasich signed Senate Bill 5 into law last March after it was passed by the Republican-controlled legislature. The bill was Kasich’s scapegoat for pushing an extreme anti-worker agenda that favors the richest 1 percent at the expense of the remaining 99 percent of the nation’s population.
The repeal of Senate Bill 5 by a vote of the people was a huge win for working men and women. It proved to doubters that organized labor still has the ability to come alive and effectively perform in the political arena.
It was a strong message not only to Republicans, but also to Democrats who should have gained insight on what they stand to lose if they continue to get down on their knees for corporate campaign contributions.
Democratic candidates must realize there are two sides in every fight — whether it is a back-alley brawl or a political debate. Many of them now play for both sides, which corrupts the system. Pick a side, Democrats, and get in the battle.
If you choose labor’s side, you gain an undying ally. But if you accept campaign contributions and support from labor’s enemies, labor shouldn’t hesitate to take extreme measures, such as supporting opposition candidates in primary elections, to achieve its goal.
Corporations are not people, regardless of what the U.S. Supreme Court and Mitt Romney say. Corporations are labor’s political enemy. That is proven over and over by their continual support of anti-worker legislation, such as Senate Bill 5 in Ohio, and politicians like Kasich and his pal, Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin.
The message of Ohio should also be a forceful reminder to nonunion workers, who are fearful for their jobs in a bad economy, that unions are the best hope for the future of all working families.
Trade unions have always been the pathway to the middle class and that won’t change unless organized labor is destroyed. So, if you’re not a union member, sign an authorization card and vote union.